The National Identification Number (NIN) together with the General Multi-purpose card known as the National Identity card is been issued by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) in order to have an assured identity system in the country.
The operation started in 2012 and ever since then, millions of Nigerians have been enrolled into the system especially after it has been made mandatory and the registration is still ongoing. You need to obtain your own National ID card as it would be a prerequisite for doing many things in this country in the nearest future.
How To Obtain The Nigerian National Identity Card
To enroll for the National identity Card, you can follow the simplified procedures below. These procedures are divided into three methods to make it easier for you. The first procedure is the Pre Enrollment while the second procedure has to do with the main registration or Enrollment. The third method is via the NIMC Mobile App.
Method 1: National Identity Card Pre-Enrollment Procedure Via Website
This method is to help facilitate the Enrollment procedure at the National Identification Management Commission (NIMC) Centre. This method might as well be skipped and you could just go directly to the NIMC Centre near you but be rest assured that you would have to spend a lot of time there.
You can do this on your own provided you have a computer and a printer or go to the café nearest to you.The following steps provided below to would lead you to obtaining your National Identity Card;
- Step 1. Visit the NIMC website and lookout for the “Pre-enrolment Portal” button.
- Step 2: Click it and register (create an account). After that, login and proceed to the Pre-enrolment form page where you are required to fill the form correctly. The Information required are in headings such as Personal Details, Address Information, Parent Information, Next of Kin information, Place of Origin details, document data, Disability Info and Physical Features data. Fill the form correctly and cross-check to make sure you there’s no error(s).
- Step 3: Save the information, generate a 2D bar-code that contains the Information you just provided in an encrypted format.
- Step 4: Print out the generated 2D barcode on an A4 paper and head to the nearest
- NIMC centre close to you. While going, go along with a valid Identity card. This could be a voter’s card, School ID card, NYSC certificate or a driver’s license.
Method 2: Registration At The Nimc Centre
At the NIMC Centre, you have to queue considering the state of things in this country, except of course luck has smiled on you. When it gets to your turn, your height will be measured. After that, you are then assign to the available official to get you fully registered.
Present to this official your valid means of identification and the generated 2D barcode you printed out. You then wait and watch as he/she scan the barcode to retrieve the information. He/she will then confirm the information from you before saving it.
After that, your passport photograph will be captured alongside your fingerprints and signature. The last step is simply scanning your Identity card and you will be issued an acknowledgement slip which you will use to collect your National Identification Number Slip (NINS) same day or 2 days after depending on how it is done in the centre.
The Plastic National Identity card will be ready for collection in 6 months after the Enrollment. Most people have complained that they haven’t received their National Identity Card even after 6 months, some even stretched to 4 years.
Method 3; How To Obtain Nigerian National ID Card Using NIMC Mobile App.
Due to the complaints of Nigerians not being able to obtain their National ID cards, the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has released a mobile app that would allow Nigerians get their National ID cards easily.
This means that if you have your national identity slip containing the unique national identity number (NIN), this online app will aid you in getting your national identity card quickly and easily.
Follow these easy steps to get you National Identity card without stress;
- Step 1: Download NIMC Mobile ID App From Play Store or Apple Store. Depending on the type of device you own, you have to download the NIMC Mobile ID app either from Google PlayStore for Android users or the Apple Store for iPhone users. Also install it on your mobile phone after downloading the NIMC Mobile ID app.
- Step 2: Key in Your NIN & Mobile Number The next step after installing the NIMC Mobile ID app on your phone is to input your 11-digit national identity number (NIN) which can be seen on the national identity slip given to you. For those who can’t recall their NIN, dail *324# on your phone (works on all Nigerian networks except for 9mobile). The NIN is different from your bank verification code (BVN), so avoid entering your BVN but NIN. Also enter your phone number using +234 as Nigeria’s country code. Enter your other information without errors.
- Step 3: Accept The Attestation The next page is the attestation. You have to carefully read the attestation and click on the ‘I Agree button to enter to the next step.
- Step 4: Input Your Choice of PIN. You would be required to enter your preferred pin twice. Always use pins that you won’t forget. Click on ‘Finish’ to enter the final process.
- Step 5: Download ID The final stage allows you to download your ID card via the NIMC Mobile ID app. Select ‘Show my ID’ and it will bring out your national identity card, which should be ready for download.You should know that without your NIN number, you can’t complete the process of getting your National ID and enrollment for obtaining the National ID card is free of charge. No money is needed to do it according to the authorities.
How To Check The Status Of Your National Identity Card Online
NIMC has made it easy for us to track and know whether our National Identity card is ready for collection. Most people have enrolled for the National identity Card for quite a long time but do not have an idea of when you would collect it. It is high time to confirm if your National Identity Card is ready for collection.
You should be aware that there is now an online platform where you can check or know the status of your identity card and to know whether your National ID card is ready of not. To check this out, go to the NIMC website and click on “-id Card Status” and you will be required to provide your name and your unique National Identification Number (NIN)
This NIN and your tracking ID is printed on the NIN Slip given to you. After entering these, the status of your National Identity Card will be shown to you.